Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Man With Concrete Trophies

You would think people who are reading don't want to talk. But I've come to find those people focused on books are the most talkative. It's as if their brains enjoy a respite from the mental focus of reading. But you must always start the conversation at their book. If you talk about anything else, the transition will be too jarring for them, and they won't want to talk.

"Hey man, what are you reading?"

"Oh, it's a fantasy novel . . . the last one in the series. It's by a Utahn author, and I have absolutely loved it. There are so many deep metaphors and symbolism. I've got to finish it so I can get back to studying for school."

"What are you studying? English?"

"No. I'm studying Construction Management. It's cool because I get to do lots of outdoor stuff. I spent last summer digging ditches."

That didn't sound too much fun to me, so I asked him what the funnest thing he ever did was.

"Oh man, one time I was helping on the construction of a house and we had to drill two monster holes into a concrete wall. I got to take the drill and shove it into the concrete. When you pull the drill head, out pops a long, thick cylinder of concrete that used to cover the hole. I thought they were so cool, I took them home to put in my house as trophies. Unfortunately, my wife didn't want to put them on the mantle, so we compromised and now they are sitting on our front porch."

I've received some trophies in my life. Most have little plastic figurines on the top and say "Participation Award" on the plaque. But in life, we should create happiness in day-to-day living and find joy in small details. It is then, and only then, when life will award us more than a participation award.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Please be considerate to others, and don't use profanity of any kind. It's bad karma.