Monday, February 21, 2011

The Art Store and The Wife

I have a rule: if you meet the owner, even if it's to complain, always compliment the establishment he owns.

Today I picked up a custom frame I had made at an art store downtown. The man running my credit card was older, and I learned by meeting him that he was the owner.

"I've never been here before...usually I go to Michael's," I told him. "But I am so impressed with the cleanliness of your store and the friendliness of your staff. the lady that took my order was the nicest person, and was so considerate to both our needs and budget."

"Do you remember who it was that helped you?"

"I don't remember her name, but she was a nice older lady."

He looked at my order sheet. "Was her name Luanna?"

"Yes! That was her."

The store owner smiled. "She's my wife!"

Compliments are special because they make someone's day no matter how small they are. But compliments that make a whole family's day? Those are even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Please be considerate to others, and don't use profanity of any kind. It's bad karma.