Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Beach

Most people learn their calling in life because they're passionate. But some find it because they're angry.

Take the guy I met today. Kristi wanted to go take pictures of the pier as the sun was setting. There was a photographer there attempting to take a photograph of a moving kite. He told me he was a professor of photography at a local university, and he had been a photographer with the OC Register for a number of years. We started a chat, and I asked him the question I pose to anyone who is an artist: "What got you into it?"

It turns out his photography all started with a trip to see the legendary runner Carl Lewis.

"My wife and I went to the 1984 Summer Olympic games in Los Angeles and were on the second row at the track and field championships. I could see Carl Lewis about to walk directly below me out of the corner of my eye. I picked up my 40 dollar camera and started taking pictures...but I could not get a good shot of him! He strolled right past and I couldn't focus. Right there I told my wife, 'The first thing I'm going to do when I get home is buy a nice camera so this never happens again!!!' "

The next day he bought a nice camera and was hooked. He didn't miss the sunset off the Huntington Beach Pier tonight, and my guess is if he ever sees Carl Lewis walking by... he'll be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Please be considerate to others, and don't use profanity of any kind. It's bad karma.