Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tackling at Midnight

I get to meet a lot of people who love their jobs. Today I met someone who is perfect for his. I was waiting in line at a checkout counter when I heard the loud "thud" of a heavy object landing on the little conveyor belt thingy. I looked down to see a one liter of Mountain Dew staring up at me...at 7:00 at night.

"Whoa man, you got a long night ahead of you?" I turned and asked. Then I saw the guy who threw it down. He was a huge Sasquatch of a dude with giant arms. And he was wearing a nurses outfit. I almost laughed out loud at the hilarity of this contrast. He replied in the affirmative, so I asked him where he worked.

"I'm an overnight nurse in the psychiatric ward of the mental health hospital." His name tag verified it.

"So what do you do all night?"

"I tackle people."

I started to laugh, until I saw that this guy wasn't kidding. He literally tackles patients all night. Some try to escape, others have tantrums...and he tackles them. Which is perfect for him, because he looks like a football player.

I guess today's lesson is that sometimes we choose our job, and other times our job chooses us. Okay so there's no lesson. He gets paid to tackle people--that's sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Please be considerate to others, and don't use profanity of any kind. It's bad karma.