Friday, February 18, 2011

New Career

If you've ever been in an LSAT prep course, you know the average age of the enrollees is between 21 and 26. That's why I was surprised when I heard a question posed to the teacher by a gruff voice. I turned to see a balding, grey haired 55 year old man in a dirty green shirt. It was a simple question, and the class slowly began to turn on him when he couldn't comprehend the answer.

"Come on old man..."

"He's got it all wrong..."

"It's so simple..."

I knew he could feel the tension in the room, so during our break I introduced myself.

"What kind of law would you like to practice?" I asked.

"I think I will know my second or third year into law school," he replied. "I've thought about bankruptcy law...anything but divorce law. They make a lot of money, but they have to go through hell everyday to get it. I want to use my degree in finance."

"Oh! Did you just graduate?"

"No. I graduated about 30 years ago." A little awkward silence, but I pressed onward.

"Why did you decide to come back to law school?"

"I used to be a general contractor, but when the housing market tanked a couple of years ago, my job was pretty much done-for. This test is going to be tough, but I know I can do well enough to get into a good school."

The look in his eyes said it all. He lost everything when the economy collapsed. Now he is a 55 year old going back to school for a career change, trying to take a test designed to challenge bright young minds in their mid-twenties.

There is a silver-lining to the "Great Recession." Beneath all the money and wealth we accumulate there is a brave and determined spirit. Sometimes money covers and stifles it like a blanket over a fire. The recession was terrible, but in some it rekindled the guts and grit that our wealth once covered.

I'm rooting for this guy. You should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Please be considerate to others, and don't use profanity of any kind. It's bad karma.