Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Busboy

Conversation can start over so many things. Today, it started because of leftover pickles.

My wife and I decided to splurge and grab some fast food for dinner tonight (okay, okay, I'll admit it...we had a gift card). After ordering, I walked up to an open booth, but somebody hadn't cleaned up their pickles. A busboy cut me off and wiped the table clean for me. I tapped him, on the shoulder and said,"Hey, thanks a lot man."

He looked back at me, and I could tell not a lot of people say that to him. We talked for a little bit, and I found out he had worked as a busboy for the same restaurant in Santa Clarita, CA. That's how he landed the job here (there were about 1,000 applications when the store opened). We got our food and started to eat.

About a half an hour later, we got up and walked out the door. Suddenly, from across the restaurant, we heard someone yell "Thanks for coming in! It was nice to meet you!" We turned back and saw our busboy there smiling.

We can make someone's day with a simple "Thank you." Even if it's just thanking him for doing his job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Please be considerate to others, and don't use profanity of any kind. It's bad karma.