Monday, May 24, 2010

The Woman Who Stares At Goats

"How can a goat be a pet?" I wondered when she told me she had two pet goats.

Then I saw her interact with them. She petted them, played with them, and held them. And these goats treated her like their mom, but that wasn't the only reason she loved them. It turns out their manure actually helps plants to grow, and they'll eat every single weed in your yard. But what impressed me most was when she said, "They are also great for the community. I love having all the neighborhood kids come over to see and pet the goats. It really brings the neighborhood closer together."

She has gotten all her neighbors to sign a petition and send letters telling the city council to let her keeps the goats, citing how it's doing the community a service rather than being a burden.

In her words: "I just see too many kids living their lives in a virtual reality filled with video games and the computer. I want to have these goats to show these kids: this is real life! This is nature! I want to show them goat's milk and say 'See! Milk doesn't come from a store! It comes from living, breathing animals!'"

I admire her fight. With video games, the internet, and television destroying the sense of community in out neighborhoods, she has found a secret weapon to combat it. Farm animals...who knew?

PS: At the time of this writing, both goats are pregnant and should deliver soon. I wish you the best of luck, Goat Woman!

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousMay 25, 2010

    I love it! I'm the woman you met yesterday who is taking care of the goats temporarily. Your blog, and especially the title, is funny and inspiring. Thank you for your attitude. We need more people like you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Please be considerate to others, and don't use profanity of any kind. It's bad karma.