Friday, May 7, 2010

The Gym Dancers (Los Bialadores del Gymansio)

It's not every day you see a couple dancing...in the middle of the gym.

"What are you doing?" I asked...even though I could already see what. What I really wanted to know was why.

"Dancing merengue!"

I asked if they would give me lessons right there, and they were happy to do so. So there we were, two native Hondurans and a white guy dancing merengue in the middle of the weight room at the gym (gyms on a Friday night are pretty sparsely populated...so it's not like we didn't have the room!). They were moving their hips, and spinning each other around...I was just trying to keep up.

"Umm...so why are you dancing in the middle of the gym?"

They laughed. "Because it's better than dancing at home!" Of course.

"How so?"

They looked at each other, a bit puzzled. After an awkward pause we all laughed together as they replied "It just is!"

I want to thank those two Hondurans for teaching me a valuable lesson: It doesn't matter where you dance...just that you do it.

For my dance partners: Fue un gusto conocerles. Gracias a ustedes dos por ensenarme esta leccion! No significa donde se biala...solo importa que se biale! Nos vemos en el gymnasio!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Please be considerate to others, and don't use profanity of any kind. It's bad karma.