Monday, May 31, 2010

The Dukie

I was going to post this last night, but the internet wasn't working. So here it is...Sunday's Amigo.

"Oh, so you're from North Carolina! Are you a big Tar Heels fan?"

He gave me a look mixed with surprise and disgust. "Heck no! Far from it. I'm a Blue Devil fan through and through!" He lifted up his wrist and showed me his watch with a Blue Devil in the center. I know there is a huge rivalry between North Carolina and Duke...people actually camp out six weeks in advance of their basketball game to buy tickets. I've always wondered...if you live in North Carolina, how do you choose between Duke and NC? I posed the question.

"For me it was easy. I had a brain tumor and was going to die, but the doctors at Duke performed brain surgery and saved my life. So I've always liked Duke. I guess I traded my life for allegiance," he joked.

I don't think I've heard a better reason to like a sports team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Please be considerate to others, and don't use profanity of any kind. It's bad karma.