Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Daughter

"Why are you taking a math class if you've already graduated college?" I asked The Daughter. She smelled of smoke.

"Listen, I'm 28, my psychology degree was worthless soI don't have a job, and I live in a house my parents own. In order for me to be able to teach in Utah, I need my teaching license. And I have to take this class to get it."

She explained she lives in a big home in an expensive resort town. She skis everyday...doesn't have to pay for anything. As she explained: "It's daddy's money."

It seemed like she had the perfect life.

"What a set-up," I said.

"Yeah, it's nice, but I need to break away. I'm sick of living off my parents...ya know?"

Independence is something we naturally crave. Whether we're 10 years old and want the freedom to our bikes to a gas station for a Slurpee, 16 and want the freedom to drive ourselves to prom, 28 and want the freedom to live on our own, or 88 and want the freedom to live on our own.

I hope The Daughter succeeds in transitioning into that next phase of independence. And if she needs someone to tend that resort house, she can call me up any time.

1 comment:

  1. This blog inspired me to get out of my shell and get to know those around me. Here is my story:

    The other day my wife and I were shooting hoops when out of the corner of my eye I saw a flying disc in a grassy field.

    Then quicker than snot on a donkey another similar disc landed within 5 feet of the other at breakneck speed. Curious, I walked over, sure to avoid any other airborne instruments of death or at least internal bleeding.

    I was met by a guy named Rusty whose name definitely does not reflect his Disc Golf skills. Also a resident of my apartment complex, Rusty has been a Disc Golf aficionado for the past year and a half and started in his native North Carolina.

    He taught me how to throw like the pros do and the right way to aim. I never would have searched the internet for that knowledge but now I am glad I have it.

    With the dimming sun and growing mosquito populaion as an audience, Rusty and I parted. I came away with the same feelings I had after meeting someone new on my mission, appreciation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Please be considerate to others, and don't use profanity of any kind. It's bad karma.