Saturday, May 22, 2010

DJ Furniture Salesman

I took my dog to the park today, and he started playing with a brown lab. I got to talking with the owner.

"Yeah, my friend and I are starting a modern furniture store in South Salt Lake in August. I just got a $250,000 loan."

I commented that he must be feeling the pressure, but he just smiled and said, "Actually, the hardest part so far has been creating the business plan. They have to be so detailed!"

It was interesting to see a guy who looked my age aspiring to be a furniture salesman. I asked him if he wanted to be a furniture salesman for his entire life.

"Nah, it's just a good way to make money, but what I really want to go into music. I'm a house and techno DJ, and I just sent a couple of demo tapes into some producers, but I haven't heard anything from them."

Nothing stopped this guy from writing a business plan, and getting a $250,000 bank loan for a furniture business, and I don't see discouragement stopping him from a music career either. Like he said he told his friend, "I told her, no one can stop you from doing anything you want to do."

But here's the most amazing part: I learned that this all got started after his friend got fired as a RN, and he inspired her to stand on her own two feet and make something happen. He is partnering with her to help her start this business. I hope their business succeeds, but even if it doesn't, he will be successful.

Anytime you do something to help another, you are a success. No matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Please be considerate to others, and don't use profanity of any kind. It's bad karma.