Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Inspired Lawyer

I met the Inspired Lawyer in his office today. In the midst of our conversation, I asked him how he had come to his chosen profession.

"I was a business major in college," he began. "One day, when I had about a year left in school, I was in my bishop's office wondering what to do with my life. He said, 'Maybe you should think about being a lawyer.' When he said that, I felt a very warm feeling...as if God was telling me that was right."

He then went on the explain how he tried to apply to law school, but he was too late to take the LSAT. He thought that if being a lawyer was what God wanted him to do, he would be able to get in. So, he called the admissions office, and they made an exception for him. He took the LSAT, and then was awarded a scholarship.

Right as he said that, he laughed. "I was sold!"

What made it interesting was that, as he was telling me this, I remembered why I was there: to interview him about a horrible criminal he was defending. Heavenly Father made him a lawyer to defend criminals. It made me realize that even the scummiest people in this country need someone to represent them in our courts.

In the end, aren't we all criminals to the law of the Lord? And don't we all need the Savior to be our advocate...our defense attorney at the final judgement? Being an advocate for the defenseless just might be the most Christlike work of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Please be considerate to others, and don't use profanity of any kind. It's bad karma.